Monday, June 13, 2011

Library Project Update

The library is coming along well. We started building at the end of April as soon as the funding was deposited in my account. The builders immediately began by making cement bricks to build improved walls. The rusted tin roof was taken off and replaced with new tin sheets and a cement floor was laid. Fundi Makua, the main craftsman, was incredibly fast at his work. He painted inside and outside of the library in only two days. The carpenters, on the other hand, are wazee (older men) and they work very slowly. The library committee has had to push the older carpenters to do their work faster. Many times the wazee take a day off to go to a funeral (a social function here because free food is served) or visit a long distance relative or friend. Currently the library building is finished. All that’s left now is the old carpenters’ work in making the benches, tables, and book shelves.
Finding books has been another big project. I worked closely with Norbert Frank, the ward education officer, to see if district officials could help us get donated books. Frank and I went to Newala frequently in order to meet with primary and secondary district education officers. Because we were so persistent, the secondary officer finally gave in to our request for books and donated a full box containing American literature, geography, and mathematics textbooks. The primary officer was much more difficult to work with. He was always out of his office and he didn’t follow up on his promises when we did meet. It got pretty frustrating, so we eventually gave up on his help. Frank said a lot of educational officers think they can benefit if they help me with this library project by getting paid for their assistance. They think Frank is making money by working with me…but he’s not getting a single shilling. He’s just working for the same cause I am, to better the school and community. I got an unexpected surprise when an American volunteer couple moved back to America and left me a box full of English children story books. The 4th grade class from York, NE raised money to send English dictionaries and story books. My mom has sent six English/Swahili translation dictionaries from church donation funds. Frank and I bought a lot Swahili story books. I'll buy solar lamps using extra funding donated after my grant money total was met.

Our goal is to have the library completed by the end of June so we can spend the beginning of July arranging books and training local villagers and students as librarians. I’ve been very impressed with how efficient the library committee has managed the project and kept the process moving. That’s a pretty big accomplishment because everything moves so slowly here. The library committee consists of Ward Executive Officer, Agnes Mnipilika, Ward Education Coordinator, Norbert Frank, Namiyonga B Head Teacher Sophia Kumbemba, and Namiyonga B teacher Mr. Nannenje. Nannenje has been a huge asset as a former carpenter in planning library budget and overseeing the construction of library. Nannenje and Kumbemba were in charge of buying and transporting building materials, which is not an easy task. There are no set prices in local stores, so everything is bartered. Nannenje did a great job bartering prices down. If I were to go alone to make purchases, the prices would surely double for me since store owners see I’m white and therefore they assume I have money. Finding a vehicle to transport was also a challenge. There are few lorries, and an agreement had to be made for a fair price to transport building materials the 8km to Namiyonga. Then men needed to load the lorrie with heavy cargo such as cement and iron sheets also had to be paid. Once we arrived in Namiyonga, the primary students helped unload building material into classroom. Theft is common so all building material was kept in a locked classroom.

I expected this library project to be stressful and a lot of work, but actually it’s fun and I do very little. I organize receipts and update library budget on excel sheet, but other than that the library committee handles everything else. I’ve been impressed by how the committee has come together to work on this project. This gives me confidence that the library will be a sustainable project due to the community’s pride and hard work that’s been put into making this library. I’m grateful to have a committee who I can trust to handle money responsibly and make good decisions to benefit their village, not just themselves.

It’s been a lot of fun watching the library develop. The secondary and primary students look forward to be able to use the library once it’s finished. It’s been exciting for them watching the construction progress. I’ve had students tell me already that they’re going to study every evening at library. They’re really eager for solar light since most use an open kerosene lamp that produces more smoke than light. The teachers and village officials are proud to have the very first library in their ward. The village is extremely grateful for America’s support. It’s hard for them to fathom how people from so far away have so much compassion to help make their dream a reality. They’ll never forget your kindness.